Over the past few years, people have been writing about an intermittent issue with WordPress sites hosted on GoDaddy where upon trying to update the WordPress site, the user is prompted for FTP credentials but the credentials are not accepted.This issue doesn’t seem to occur on fresh installations and no one is quite sure what is causing the issue.
Though people have been having this issue primarily on GoDaddy hosted WordPress sites, it’s a GoDaddy feature itself that allows you to address the issue.
- Log in to your GoDaddy hosting account and proceed to the web Hosting Details page for your site.
- At the top of the page, you will see the Homepage Snapshot
- Click on Manage WordPress get a list of applications you have installed on your hosting account.
- Select the site you are experiencing the issues on and click “Update to x.y.z”. As of writing this blog entry, the latest version is 3.5.1
- Confirm the upgrade
- The interface will update to show the installation process
- Once the installation is complete, log in to your site’s dashboard and you will be presented with the chance to update the underlying database for your WordPress site. Click the button to update the database and your site will be up and running with the new version of WordPress. If you proceed to your plugins page, you will be able to update your other plugins using the regular process.